SPECIAL EDUCATION RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Home Forums KYEZ BOX Parents Resource IEP Implement SPECIAL EDUCATION RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anthony
      Participant

SPECIAL EDUCATION RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
      Chapter 4
      Information on IEP Process
      TABLE OF CONTENTS

Question Page
      1. What is an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and how do I request one for my child?
      2. What are the timelines for holding an IEP meeting
      3. How do I request an IEP meeting for my child who is already receiving services when I am not also requesting an assessment?
      4. How often are IEP meetings held?
      5. Can I get copies of assessments before the IEP meeting?
      6. Will I receive notice of the IEP meeting?
      7. If I cannot attend an IEP meeting in person, can the district hold the meeting over the telephone?
      8. After my child’s annual IEP, must an IEP meeting be held to change the IEP?
      9. Who is required to attend the IEP team meeting and what are the members supposed to contribute to the meeting?

10. Are all members of the IEP team required to attend the IEP meeting?
      11. What can I do if the required members of the IEP team do not attend my child’s IEP meeting?
      12. Can I bring an advocate or attorney to an IEP meeting?
      13. Can a representative of a teachers union or organization attend an IEP meeting?
      14. How can I contribute to the IEP process?
      15. If I need an interpreter at the IEP meeting, must one be provided
      16. What should happen at my IEP meeting?
      17. What is Prior Written Notice?
      18. What information should be considered at the IEP for deaf or hard-of-hearing students?
      19. What should be written in the IEP
      20. Are there any other services or special factors that must be considered and included in an IEP if appropriate for a student?
      21. How should the present levels of my child’s educational performance be described in the IEP
      22. Why are measurable annual goals and benchmarks or short-term instructional objectives important?
      23. Can I suggest goals that are more challenging for my child than the district is suggesting?
      24. What is the difference between short-term objective and a benchmark?
      25. Must my child’s IEP address his involvement in the general curriculum regardless of the nature and severity of his disability and the setting in which he is educated

26. Must an IEP for a student with a disability include annual goals that address all areas of the general curriculum?
      27. Must the IEP contain all services my child needs?
      28. If a majority of IEP team members, with the exception of the official representing the school district, agree on IEP services, should those services be written into the IEP?
      29. What can I do if my child’s teacher (or other direct-service staff) tells me one thing about what my child needs to be appropriately educated but refuses to say those same things in an IEP meeting (or mediation conference or due process hearing) because they are afraid of retaliation for saying anything that conflicts with the administrator’s position?
      30. Can I ask for a specific type of instruction or program to address my child’s educational needs?
      31. Can class size limits be included in the IEP?
      32. Is there a mandated length or format for an IEP?
      33. If my child is mainstreamed into regular classes, can I write modifications to the regular classroom in the IEP?
      34. Under what circumstances should the regular teacher of a special education student participate in the IEP?
      35. Is there any way to get additional support for my child’s teachers – both regular and special education – through the IEP?
      36. Do I have to sign the IEP at the IEP meeting?
      37. Can I consent to only part of the IEP
      38. Can I consent to the content of the IEP and not consent to a particular classroom assignment?
      39. Can I change my mind after I sign the IEP document?

40. What kinds of educational placements must a school district offer?
      41. How can supplementary aids and services help my child in the regular classroom?
      42. What role do parents have in determining the educational placement for their child?
      43. Can I put the name of a particular teacher or a particular classroom in the IEP?
      44. May children with differing disabilities be grouped together for instruction in the same classroom?
      45. When must the IEP be implemented?
      46. Are there any circumstances when a school district is required to review and/or revise my child’s IEP?
      47. If I place my child in a private or religious school does he have the right to an IEP and special education services?
      48. If I place my child in a private school, will the district pay me back for the costs? Is there anything in particular I should know before I make such a placement?
      49. Should the IEP respond to real, documented needs, or does it accommodate the available funds/resources of the school district?
      50. When considering placements, should the child fit the program placement or the program fit the child?
      51. Can my school district be required to purchase equipment needed to implement my child’s IEP?
      52. Can my child use a school-purchased assistive technology device at home or other non-school settings?
      53. Can I tape record an IEP meeting?

54. What if participants in my IEP meeting use terms or acronyms that I do not understand?
      55. Can a school district use pre-written or computer-generated IEPs ?
      56. Who is responsible for implementing my child’s IEP?
      57. May a school district require that I use my medical insurance to pay for part of my child’s special education program?
      58. If I do not sign a new IEP at the annual IEP meeting, can the district withhold eligibility or an existing IEP service from my child?
      59. Can a foster parent sign an IEP for a child in their care?
      60. What parental rights does a surrogate parent have at an IEP meeting?
      61. How can my child qualify for “extended school year” services?
      62. Can my child receive ESY services beyond the limited number of weeks usually offered by the school district?
      63. My child is integrated into the regular classroom during the regular academic year. Should that integrated programming be available during the extended school year?
      64. Do students enrolled in charter schools have special education rights?

By https://www.disabilityrightsca.org/system/files?file=file-attachments/504001Ch04.pdf

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘IEP Implement’ is closed to new topics and replies.